The Cell Sciences Imaging Facility (CSIF) Shared Resource provides access to and training in high resolution, state-of-the-art imaging technologies. These technologies are essential tools for studying the molecular, sub-cellular and cellular mechanisms of cancer The CSIF is organized into three interdependent resources: the Fluorescence Microscopy Core (FMC), the Electron Microscopy Core (EMC) and the Array Tomography Core (ATC). The facility's FMC houses three advanced imaging systems that provide confocal, deconvolution, and 2-photon fluorescent light microscopy technologies for imaging both fixed and live cells and tissues. The Facility's EMC offers complete sample preparation and training in both transmission and scanning electron microscopy technologies for ultra structural and immunohistochemical studies. The Facility's ATC provides complete array tomography services, from array generation and labeling to automated imaging of immunolocalized arrays. Additional equipment includes all ancillary equipment necessary for sample preparation and advanced software resources for 3D, 4D interactive volume imaging of data sets, as well as advanced deconvolution software packages. The CSIF's current operating budget is approximately $500,000. The CSIF recovers, on average, 84% of this cost through user fees with the remaining 16% covered by the Cancer Center and institutional funds. Additionally, institutional funds support the growth of the CSIF by funding capital equipment needs not easily funded through grants. Leadership is provided by the CSIF's Advisory Committee. This nine member committee includes Dr. Stephen Smith, a world expert in microscopy, Mr. Mulholland, Director of the CSIF, and seven researchers from the Cancer Center, School of Medicine and School of the Humanities and Sciences. Forty-six Cancer Center members currently use the CSIF resources. Future goals of the CSIF include providing improved live cell and tissue imaging technologies. The CSIF also continues to actively develop its cryo and immuno-EM technologies and is developing correlative methods for light and electron microscopy, all of which will be essential to the study and understanding of the molecular and structural basis of cancer.

Agency
National Institute of Health (NIH)
Institute
National Cancer Institute (NCI)
Type
Center Core Grants (P30)
Project #
5P30CA124435-08
Application #
8685171
Study Section
Subcommittee G - Education (NCI)
Project Start
Project End
Budget Start
2014-06-01
Budget End
2015-05-31
Support Year
8
Fiscal Year
2014
Total Cost
$95,964
Indirect Cost
$38,624
Name
Stanford University
Department
Type
DUNS #
009214214
City
Stanford
State
CA
Country
United States
Zip Code
94305
Lee, Bee L; Fan, Shenghua K; Lu, Ying (2017) A curve-free Bayesian decision-theoretic design for two-agent Phase I trials. J Biopharm Stat 27:34-43
Mohanty, Suchismita; Chen, Zixin; Li, Kai et al. (2017) A Novel Theranostic Strategy for MMP-14-Expressing Glioblastomas Impacts Survival. Mol Cancer Ther 16:1909-1921
Alcántara-Hernández, Marcela; Leylek, Rebecca; Wagar, Lisa E et al. (2017) High-Dimensional Phenotypic Mapping of Human Dendritic Cells Reveals Interindividual Variation and Tissue Specialization. Immunity 47:1037-1050.e6
Chao, Mark P; Gentles, Andrew J; Chatterjee, Susmita et al. (2017) Human AML-iPSCs Reacquire Leukemic Properties after Differentiation and Model Clonal Variation of Disease. Cell Stem Cell 20:329-344.e7
Rogers, Zoë N; McFarland, Christopher D; Winters, Ian P et al. (2017) A quantitative and multiplexed approach to uncover the fitness landscape of tumor suppression in vivo. Nat Methods 14:737-742
Sun, Ruping; Hu, Zheng; Sottoriva, Andrea et al. (2017) Between-region genetic divergence reflects the mode and tempo of tumor evolution. Nat Genet 49:1015-1024
Jin, Yuxue; Lai, Tze Leung (2017) A new approach to regression analysis of censored competing-risks data. Lifetime Data Anal 23:605-625
Clarke, Christina A; Glaser, Sally L; Leung, Rita et al. (2017) Prevalence and characteristics of cancer patients receiving care from single vs. multiple institutions. Cancer Epidemiol 46:27-33
Han, Summer S; Ten Haaf, Kevin; Hazelton, William D et al. (2017) The impact of overdiagnosis on the selection of efficient lung cancer screening strategies. Int J Cancer 140:2436-2443
Wender, Paul A; Hardman, Clayton T; Ho, Stephen et al. (2017) Scalable synthesis of bryostatin 1 and analogs, adjuvant leads against latent HIV. Science 358:218-223

Showing the most recent 10 out of 227 publications