The University of Wisconsin Carbone Cancer Center (UWCCC) Flow Cytometry Laboratory (Flow Lab) is a heavily utilized shared service on the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus available to researchers who are members as well as non-members of the UWCCC. The impact of the Flow Lab on biomedical research infrastructure at UW-Madison is significant. This Shared Instrumentation Grant is a request for funds that cover 80% (remaining 20% supported by the institution) of the total cost of a BD LSR Fortessa"""""""" (Fortessa) instrument to further enhance the capability and the capacity of the Flow Lab. The addition of the Fortessa will alleviate the 2-3 week wait times currently experienced by our users allowing timely analysis of clinical research samples. It will provide high laser power for increased resolution of cellular subpopulations and excitation wavelengths (561nm and 355nm) necessary for detection of newly developed fluorescent markers, and will include a High-Throughput Sampler option for increased efficiency and screening capability. This instrument will provide redundancy when the existing 5-laser LSR is undergoing maintenance and/or repair. The experienced staff, well-established daily Quality Control Procedures, Online Scheduling System and Educational Programs allow for seamless integration of the Fortessa into the Flow Lab. The Fortessa cytometer will impact the development of novel treatment strategies for various human pathologies and increase our understanding of human biology. Funded projects by major and minor users benefiting by addition of the Fortessa include (i) clinical trials for development of a prostate cancer vaccine (Doug McNeel), (ii) immunotherapeutic agents for melanoma (Paul Sondel), (iii) mouse models for CMML (Jing Zhang), (iv) rat models for genetic modulation of mammary cancer (Michael Gould), (v) modulating immune responses in ovarian cancer (Manish Patankar), (vi) Graft versus Host disease in allogeneic bone marrow transplant patients with hematologic malignancies, (vii) effect of biobehavioral factors on immune function (Erin Costanzo), (viii) fibrogenesis in kidney disease (Arjung Djamali), (ix) hematopoietic stem cell maturation into cardiomyocytes (Sean Palecek), (x) ventilatory control due to effects of inflammation on neuronal cells (Jyoti Watters), (xi) effect of genetic mutations in a zinc transporter on sphodylocheiro dysplastic form of Ehlers- Danlos Syndrome (David Eide), (xii) immune maturation and regulation in farm and non-farm raised children to better understand wheezing illnesses (David Gern), (xiii) transcription factors in tumor suppression and DNA damage (Randall Tibbets), and (xiv) development of anti-fungal vaccines (Marcel W?thrich and Bruce Klein). Excellent institutional support in the form of 20% cost sharing of the total price of the Fortessa, salary support for trained technical staff, and the service agreement to maintain a fully functional and well-equipped cytometer will allow us to fulfill the research needs of major and minor users for the next 10 years.

National Institute of Health (NIH)
Office of The Director, National Institutes of Health (OD)
Biomedical Research Support Shared Instrumentation Grants (S10)
Project #
Application #
Study Section
Special Emphasis Panel (ZRG1)
Program Officer
Birken, Steven
Project Start
Project End
Budget Start
Budget End
Support Year
Fiscal Year
Total Cost
Indirect Cost
University of Wisconsin Madison
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Schools of Medicine
United States
Zip Code
O'Driscoll, Chelsea A; Owens, Leah A; Gallo, Madeline E et al. (2018) Differential effects of diesel exhaust particles on T cell differentiation and autoimmune disease. Part Fibre Toxicol 15:35
Chamberlin, Tamara; D'Amato, Joseph V; Arendt, Lisa M (2017) Obesity reversibly depletes the basal cell population and enhances mammary epithelial cell estrogen receptor alpha expression and progenitor activity. Breast Cancer Res 19:128
Olson, Brian M; Gamat, Melissa; Seliski, Joseph et al. (2017) Prostate Cancer Cells Express More Androgen Receptor (AR) Following Androgen Deprivation, Improving Recognition by AR-Specific T Cells. Cancer Immunol Res 5:1074-1085
Barlow-Anacker, Amanda; Bochkov, Yury; Gern, James et al. (2017) Neonatal immune response to rhinovirus A16 has diminished dendritic cell function and increased B cell activation. PLoS One 12:e0180664
Colluru, Viswa Teja; McNeel, Douglas G (2016) B lymphocytes as direct antigen-presenting cells for anti-tumor DNA vaccines. Oncotarget 7:67901-67918
García-Mendoza, María G; Inman, David R; Ponik, Suzanne M et al. (2016) Neutrophils drive accelerated tumor progression in the collagen-dense mammary tumor microenvironment. Breast Cancer Res 18:49
Rekoske, Brian T; Smith, Heath A; Olson, Brian M et al. (2015) PD-1 or PD-L1 Blockade Restores Antitumor Efficacy Following SSX2 Epitope-Modified DNA Vaccine Immunization. Cancer Immunol Res 3:946-55