The Tissue Culture/Monoclonal Antibody Core is an efficient, cost effective resource for the production of monoclonal antibodies (MAbs) from hybridoma cell lines, and expression of recombinant proteins from baculovirus vectors in insect cell cultures. Cell fusion and construction of new MAb secreting hybridoma cell lines has been offered as a custom service since the founding of the facility in 1988, and mass production of MAbs from large scale cultures of hybridomas was introduced as a component of the MAb service at the time of the last review. Construction of baculovirus vectors and expression of recombinant proteins in insect cells was established as a second major service over ten years ago. The usage of custom baculovirus services has continued to grow every year to become the major activity of the Core. As an additional service, the Core maintains a repository of 150 cancer cell lines in liquid nitrogen and provides UCCC investigators with seed cultures for experiments or large volume cell cultures as a source for isolation of various cell factors. The Core also maintains an On-Site Supply Center that provides commercial liquid growth media, supplements and serum at substantially reduced prices to Cancer Center Investigators. The TC/MAb core provides added value through consultation, training and quality control procedures. The Core moved to the new Fitzsimons campus in July 2004. To facilitate access to Cancer Center investigators at the 9th Avenue campus, a daily courier service for transfer of samples has been established and the On-Site Supply Center operates at both UCHSC campuses and at NJC. The TC/MAb Core is heavily used. During the last reported grant year, 115 different investigators used one or more services and the majority of users (82 or 71%) were Cancer Center members. Cancer Center users are from all 8 scientific programs and 3 consortium institutions including CU-Boulder, National Jewish Center, and CSU, and 84% hold NIH peer-reviewed funding with 31% from the NCI. The TC/MAb Core has provided support for 265 peer-reviewed publications of UCCC investigators over the last 4 years. Approximately 40% of the operating budget of the TC/MAb Core is supported by the Cancer Center Core grant, the other 60% comes from user charge-back fees. The TC/MAb Core plans to continue providing existing custom services, will expand its capacity for recombinant baculovirus production and will add a new service of down-stream processing and purification of MAbs produced in culture. To expand the capacity for baculovirus production and to add the MAb purification service, new equipment is requested over the first three years of the grant.

National Institute of Health (NIH)
National Cancer Institute (NCI)
Center Core Grants (P30)
Project #
Application #
Study Section
Subcommittee G - Education (NCI)
Project Start
Project End
Budget Start
Budget End
Support Year
Fiscal Year
Total Cost
Indirect Cost
University of Colorado Denver
United States
Zip Code
Hoefert, Jaimee E; Bjerke, Glen A; Wang, Dongmei et al. (2018) The microRNA-200 family coordinately regulates cell adhesion and proliferation in hair morphogenesis. J Cell Biol 217:2185-2204
Kim, Seongsoon; Park, Donghyeon; Choi, Yonghwa et al. (2018) A Pilot Study of Biomedical Text Comprehension using an Attention-Based Deep Neural Reader: Design and Experimental Analysis. JMIR Med Inform 6:e2
Altieri, Lisa; Miller, Kimberly A; Huh, Jimi et al. (2018) Prevalence of sun protection behaviors in Hispanic youth residing in a high ultraviolet light environment. Pediatr Dermatol 35:e52-e54
Kwak, Jeff W; Laskowski, Jennifer; Li, Howard Y et al. (2018) Complement Activation via a C3a Receptor Pathway Alters CD4+ T Lymphocytes and Mediates Lung Cancer Progression. Cancer Res 78:143-156
Kim, Jihye; Yoo, Minjae; Shin, Jimin et al. (2018) Systems Pharmacology-Based Approach of Connecting Disease Genes in Genome-Wide Association Studies with Traditional Chinese Medicine. Int J Genomics 2018:7697356
Riemondy, Kent A; Gillen, Austin E; White, Emily A et al. (2018) Dynamic temperature-sensitive A-to-I RNA editing in the brain of a heterothermic mammal during hibernation. RNA 24:1481-1495
Sclafani, Robert A; Hesselberth, Jay R (2018) O Cdc7 kinase where art thou? Curr Genet 64:677-680
Shearn, Colin T; Orlicky, David J; Petersen, Dennis R (2018) Dysregulation of antioxidant responses in patients diagnosed with concomitant Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis/Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Exp Mol Pathol 104:1-8
Nicholson, Andrew G; Torkko, Kathleen; Viola, Patrizia et al. (2018) Interobserver Variation among Pathologists and Refinement of Criteria in Distinguishing Separate Primary Tumors from Intrapulmonary Metastases in Lung. J Thorac Oncol 13:205-217
Coleman, Carrie B; Lang, Julie; Sweet, Lydia A et al. (2018) Epstein-Barr Virus Type 2 Infects T Cells and Induces B Cell Lymphomagenesis in Humanized Mice. J Virol 92:

Showing the most recent 10 out of 1634 publications