The goals of the Research Design, Data Management and Analysis (RDDMA) Core are to provide epidemiologic and biostatistical support services for minority oral health research projects. Specifically, the RDDMA Core will ensure that faculty from both UMDNJ and UCONN who are involved in minority oral health research projects have the full benefit of an expert, comprehensive, and readily accessible consultation and support service regarding research design, data management and biostatistical analysis as well as in the selection and procurement of subjects for the studies in the Northeastern Minority Oral Health Research Center (NMOHRC). The primary target clientele of the RDDMA Core will be those clinical, behavioral and basic scientists who participate as investigators in projects funded directly by the NMOHRC; this will require 70% of the RDDMA Core's effort. The remaining 30% of the RDDMA Core's effort will be focused on supporting the development and conducting of 'spin-off' research studies on minority oral health that, while seeking funding from sources external to the NMOHRC, will be fully integrated components of the NMOHRC. The RDDMA Core will accomplish specific objectives within four major spheres of activity: 1) direct consultation and support services 2) faculty development activities, 3) referral services, and 4) activities directed toward establishing an independent RDDMA Core at UMDNJ. The RDDMA Core consists of a Director (an oral epidemiologist), an Associate Director (an oral epidemiologist), three faculty members (one biostatistician and two oral epidemiologists) and a full-time Data Manager. This team has been fully operational for the first two years of the Developmental Grant period for the NMOHRC and the faculty members have successfully collaborated for over a decade. The RDDMA Core will serve the four research projects funded directly by the NMOHRC. (1. the Pediatric AIDS Project, 2. the Clinical Trial on Nursing Bottle Caries, 3. the Epidemiologic and Genetic Risk Factors for Oral Cancer Project, and 4. the Tuskegee Legacy Project: Recruitment of Minority Subjects into Biomedical Research) as well as the 'spin-off' studies on minority oral health.

National Institute of Health (NIH)
National Institute of Dental & Craniofacial Research (NIDCR)
Specialized Center (P50)
Project #
Application #
Study Section
Project Start
Project End
Budget Start
Budget End
Support Year
Fiscal Year
Total Cost
Indirect Cost
University of Medicine & Dentistry of NJ
United States
Zip Code
Khocht, Ahmed; Schleifer, Steven; Janal, Malvin et al. (2013) Neutrophil function and periodontitis in alcohol-dependent males without medical disorders. J Int Acad Periodontol 15:68-74
Green, B Lee; Li, Lin; Morris, J Fontain et al. (2011) Detailed knowledge of the Tuskegee syphilis study: who knows what? A framework for health promotion strategies. Health Educ Behav 38:629-36
Morse, Douglas E; Psoter, Walter J; Baek, Linda S et al. (2010) Smoking and drinking in relation to depressive symptoms among persons with oral cancer or oral epithelial dysplasia. Head Neck 32:578-87
Khocht, Ahmed; Schleifer, Steven J; Janal, Malvin N et al. (2009) Dental care and oral disease in alcohol-dependent persons. J Subst Abuse Treat 37:214-8
Katz, Ralph V; Wang, Min Qi; Green, B Lee et al. (2008) Participation in biomedical research studies and cancer screenings: perceptions of risks to minorities compared with whites. Cancer Control 15:344-51
Katz, Ralph V; Kegeles, S Stephen; Kressin, Nancy R et al. (2008) Awareness of the Tuskegee Syphilis Study and the US presidential apology and their influence on minority participation in biomedical research. Am J Public Health 98:1137-42
Morse, Douglas E; Psoter, Walter J; Cleveland, Deborah et al. (2007) Smoking and drinking in relation to oral cancer and oral epithelial dysplasia. Cancer Causes Control 18:919-29
Broder, Hillary; Reisine, Susan; Johnson, Robert (2006) Role of african-american fathers in child-rearing and oral health practices in an inner city environment--a brief communication. J Public Health Dent 66:138-43
Katz, Ralph V; Kegeles, S Steven; Kressin, Nancy R et al. (2006) The Tuskegee Legacy Project: willingness of minorities to participate in biomedical research. J Health Care Poor Underserved 17:698-715
Fine, Daniel H; Tofsky, Nanci; Nelson, Evelyn M et al. (2003) Clinical implications of the oral manifestations of HIV infection in children. Dent Clin North Am 47:159-74, xi-xii

Showing the most recent 10 out of 15 publications