Bladder cancer (BC) is a heterogeneous disease entity exhaling divergent phenotype, biological behavior and clinical outcome. About 70% of BC present as low-grade, superficial papillary tumors that are frequently recurrent but infrequently progress to high-grade muscle-invasive stages. The rest (~30%) of BC are high- grade and invasive at presentation, and they usually do have a prior history of low-grade, papillary tumors but are believed to arise de novo or derive from flat, high-grade carcinoma in situ lesions. Whether these two major phenotypic variants of BC are caused by distinct molecular alterations is of central importance in understanding and effectively managing BC. However, answer to this question remains elusive due to the lack of concerted research efforts. Over the past 15 years, we have been dissecting the molecular mechanisms of BC pathways by developing and analyzing genetically engineered mice via urothelium- specific gene activation or ablation or both. The resulting mouse models not only recapitulate many salient features of human BC, but yield new information regarding the cause-effect relationship between genes and pathways. The present proposal is designed to gain much deeper and broader insights into the combinatorial molecular events that together serve as the

Public Health Relevance

Normal bladder epithelial cells can be converted into two major forms of tumors, one that often recurs thus requiring multiple therapies but infrequently invades, and another that does not recur but is often lethal. Elucidating the molecular mechanisms underlying each type of bladder tumors will open doors to tumor-type- specific approaches for diagnosis, prevention and therapy.

Agency
National Institute of Health (NIH)
Institute
National Cancer Institute (NCI)
Type
Research Program Projects (P01)
Project #
1P01CA165980-01A1
Application #
8596896
Study Section
Special Emphasis Panel (ZCA1-RPRB-B (M2))
Project Start
2013-09-12
Project End
2018-08-31
Budget Start
2013-09-12
Budget End
2014-08-31
Support Year
1
Fiscal Year
2013
Total Cost
$319,939
Indirect Cost
$130,091
Name
New York University
Department
Type
DUNS #
121911077
City
New York
State
NY
Country
United States
Zip Code
10016
Zeng, Xingruo; Xu, Zhou; Gu, Jiayan et al. (2016) Induction of miR-137 by Isorhapontigenin (ISO) Directly Targets Sp1 Protein Translation and Mediates Its Anticancer Activity Both In Vitro and In Vivo. Mol Cancer Ther 15:512-22
Xu, Zhou; Zeng, Xingruo; Xu, Jiawei et al. (2016) Isorhapontigenin suppresses growth of patient-derived glioblastoma spheres through regulating miR-145/SOX2/cyclin D1 axis. Neuro Oncol 18:830-9
Zhou, Haiping; He, Feng; Mendelsohn, Cathy L et al. (2016) FGFR3b Extracellular Loop Mutation Lacks Tumorigenicity In Vivo but Collaborates with p53/pRB Deficiency to Induce High-grade Papillary Urothelial Carcinoma. Sci Rep 6:25596
Wang, Y; Xu, J; Gao, G et al. (2016) Tumor-suppressor NFκB2 p100 interacts with ERK2 and stabilizes PTEN mRNA via inhibition of miR-494. Oncogene 35:4080-90
Zhou, Haiping; Wang, Xing; Mo, Lan et al. (2016) Role of isoenzyme M2 of pyruvate kinase in urothelial tumorigenesis. Oncotarget 7:23947-60
Madka, Venkateshwar; Mohammed, Altaf; Li, Qian et al. (2016) Targeting mTOR and p53 Signaling Inhibits Muscle Invasive Bladder Cancer In Vivo. Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 9:53-62
Liu, Zhongbo; Yokoyama, Noriko N; Blair, Christopher A et al. (2016) High Sensitivity of an Ha-RAS Transgenic Model of Superficial Bladder Cancer to Metformin Is Associated with ∼240-Fold Higher Drug Concentration in Urine than Serum. Mol Cancer Ther 15:430-8
Jiang, Guosong; Wu, Amy D; Huang, Chao et al. (2016) Isorhapontigenin (ISO) Inhibits Invasive Bladder Cancer Formation In Vivo and Human Bladder Cancer Invasion In Vitro by Targeting STAT1/FOXO1 Axis. Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 9:567-80
Wankel, Bret; Ouyang, Jiangyong; Guo, Xuemei et al. (2016) Sequential and compartmentalized action of Rabs, SNAREs, and MAL in the apical delivery of fusiform vesicles in urothelial umbrella cells. Mol Biol Cell 27:1621-34
Liang, Yuguang; Zhu, Junlan; Huang, Haishan et al. (2016) SESN2/sestrin 2 induction-mediated autophagy and inhibitory effect of isorhapontigenin (ISO) on human bladder cancers. Autophagy 12:1229-39

Showing the most recent 10 out of 42 publications