Our goal is to develop novel imaging techniques to improve the repeatability and consistency of assessment of carotid artery atherosclerosis. During the past 3 years we have developed methods to improve the repeatability of quantitative measurements of carotid artery lesion morphology in carotid magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and angiography (MRA) at 1.51. During the next four years we will perform three specific tasks to develop major improvements in carotid MRI/MRA. 1) We will implement efficient MRA and blood suppressed MRI sequences at 3.0T with special attention to reduced RF heating (SAR) to attain maximum efficiency and reduction or elimination of motion effects. Very few, if any, carotid imaging studies have been performed at 3.0T because of SAR limitations and motion effects. 2) We will develop a novel high resolution diffusion weighted imaging (DWI) technique applicable to the cervical carotid artery. Although in vitro studies demonstrate that diffusion weighted imaging helps discriminate between necrotic core, fibrous tissue, and hemorrhage, a pulse sequence adequate for high resolution DWI of the cervical carotid in vivo does not yet exist. 3) We will develop improved multi-coil imaging techniques, including a novel technique to obtain the complete complex coil sensitivities and the noise covariance matrix without a reference scan, and thereby allow the first image-based direct implementation of the optimal multi- coil reconstruction algorithm. This proposal includes development of efficient carotid MRI/MRA techniques at 3.0T, carotid DWI, optimized RF coils, a fully optimal phased array reconstruction technique, and improved post processing techniques. Thus this proposal represents a comprehensive approach to developing a complete set of tools to diagnose, evaluate, and monitor the evolution of this important disease. With improved signal to noise ratio and the capability of diffusion weighted imaging, we will assess the improvements gained at 3.0T over 1.5T. About 90% of our work will be to develop and test carotid imaging technology at 3.0T. The remaining 10% effort, at 1.5T, will provide a valid baseline for comparison with 3.0T. We believe that each aspect of this work will help open the door for improved longitudinal studies of the carotid artery at 3.0T. ? ?

National Institute of Health (NIH)
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI)
Research Project (R01)
Project #
Application #
Study Section
Biomedical Imaging Technology Study Section (BMIT)
Program Officer
Buxton, Denis B
Project Start
Project End
Budget Start
Budget End
Support Year
Fiscal Year
Total Cost
Indirect Cost
University of Utah
Schools of Medicine
Salt Lake City
United States
Zip Code
Kim, Seong-Eun; Roberts, John A; Eisenmenger, Laura B et al. (2017) Motion-insensitive carotid intraplaque hemorrhage imaging using 3D inversion recovery preparation stack of stars (IR-prep SOS) technique. J Magn Reson Imaging 45:410-417
Scott McNally, J; Yoon, Hyo-Chun; Kim, Seong-Eun et al. (2015) Carotid MRI Detection of Intraplaque Hemorrhage at 3T and 1.5T. J Neuroimaging 25:390-6
Mendes, Jason; Parker, Dennis L; McNally, Scott et al. (2014) Three-dimensional dynamic contrast enhanced imaging of the carotid artery with direct arterial input function measurement. Magn Reson Med 72:816-22
Hulet, Jordan P; Greiser, Andreas; Mendes, Jason K et al. (2014) Highly accelerated cardiac cine phase-contrast MRI using an undersampled radial acquisition and temporally constrained reconstruction. J Magn Reson Imaging 39:455-62
Mendes, Jason; Parker, Dennis L; Kim, Seong-Eun et al. (2013) Reduced blood flow artifact in intraplaque hemorrhage imaging using CineMPRAGE. Magn Reson Med 69:1276-84
Tate, Quinn; Kim, Seong-Eun; Treiman, Gerald et al. (2013) Increased vessel depiction of the carotid bifurcation with a specialized 16-channel phased array coil at 3T. Magn Reson Med 69:1486-93
McNally, J Scott; Kim, Seong-Eun; Yoon, Hyo-Chun et al. (2012) Carotid magnetization-prepared rapid acquisition with gradient-echo signal is associated with acute territorial cerebral ischemic events detected by diffusion-weighted MRI. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging 5:376-82
Park, J K; Kim, S-E; Trieman, G S et al. (2011) High-resolution diffusion-weighted imaging of neck lymph nodes using 2D-single-shot interleaved multiple inner volume imaging diffusion-weighted echo-planar imaging at 3T. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 32:1173-7
Kim, Seong-Eun; Treiman, Gerald S; Roberts, John A et al. (2011) In vivo and ex vivo measurements of the mean ADC values of lipid necrotic core and hemorrhage obtained from diffusion weighted imaging in human atherosclerotic plaques. J Magn Reson Imaging 34:1167-75
Mendes, Jason; Parker, Dennis L (2011) Intrinsic detection of motion in segmented sequences. Magn Reson Med 65:1084-9

Showing the most recent 10 out of 30 publications